Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tabula Rasa

So you may or may not have noticed that this blog was down for a day. I hope I didn't lose too many readers as a result.

I've written this post in my head 100 times now, and I still don't know what the best way is to approach it.

No one has access to my archives any longer and I am starting over. I would love to explain why, however it would defeat the purpose of deleting everything.

I know that I have at least one new reader now who will be monitoring this blog closely. The thought occurred to me to shut down this blog and start a new one. But to me that would imply that I am hiding something. I would prefer to be open about what I'm doing.

I didn't need to delete every post that I've ever written here, but I find it to be kind of symbolic of my life at the moment. As I've mentioned before, I'm beginning a new chapter and erasing the past seems like a good thing to do.

I think that people who don't blog don't really get them. They don't understand why we feel compelled to put our thoughts and feelings out for the world to see. I was going through a very bad time in the past couple of years and I found it comforting to discover that there were others out there who felt the same way. How else would I have found this kind of support?

I've made some genuine friends as a result of this blog. Some that I get together with in person. Some that I email constantly. Some that I am planning dream trips to visit. Without this glorious blog I never would have imagined that I could connect with such wonderful people in all corners of the earth.

So, I will acknowledge that I perhaps should show some more discretion in what I write about. Lord knows I'm far more conservative in what I reveal than a lot of the blogs that I read, but it seems that I still said too much. And I did go against my own rule that I created in the beginning:
This blog is my happy place. I will not overload it with complaints and negativity.

So, I have a few topics that I think I should avoid for the greater good. But since there are a million zillion topics in existence in the world, I think I'll still be OK.

Thanks for all your emails requesting to be invited in!
xo

21 comments:

WendyB said...

I'm glad you are sticking around!

Anonymous said...

I wished that some people would have minded there own business.
Im happy though that I can still read your blogs, and otheres!!!
Nick

Anonymous said...

Glad to see yoy back!! Maybe now I'll lurk a little less!

Tracy

Princess Pointful said...

I'll be captain obvious... I'm sorry someone found this who wasn't supposed to. I'm getting more and more paranoid about the notion of having to restrict my own thoughts. However, I am glad you stood your ground, and kept your space here!!

Tryphyna said...

Trust me, I know exactly what you mean about people finding things out about you that they don't really know. That's why my other blog is almost completely locked up.
I'm glad you're sticking around though... I love reading your posts!

Miss Britt said...

You have to write with the idea that the whole world is reading it - even the people you're writing about.

My mom, dad, stepmom, brothers, husband, husband's co-workers, dad's co-workers, old boss and current boss allll read my blog.

And I still find plenty to talk about. ;-)

the princess said...

glad you are still here princess.

PinkPiddyPaws said...

Ahhh... Big Brother is obviously watching. Isn't is such a weird feeling to know that some people absolutely MUST live vicariously through you? Actually, it's kind of flattering if you think about it. ;)

Good luck sweetie!

Ali said...

I was starting to wonder what the hell was going on - making myself paranoid that it was ME you didn't want reading, lol!
Missed you.

Anonymous said...

Even though I pretty much always lay my guts out there for people to see, I too hold back a lot. (I know it doesn't seem so but it is!).

It stinks that people that read our blogs don't realize that we're probably at a total extreme one way or the other when we do write them.

In any case, I am glad you are back. I was a bit sad when I saw your blog gone!

Princess of the Universe said...

Wendy- Aww thanks!

My Dear Anon- Since I found out it wasn't the person I thought who found it, I'm content to just be confused and forget about the whole thing.

Anon- Thanks for de-lurking!!

PP- It was a long confusing decision, but I just wasn't willing to give this all up!

Shana- I'm super curious about your other blog!

Britt- I think I'll have to maintain that attitude. I mean obviously EVERYone is reading my blog!

Princess- thanks honey!

PPP- I haven't quite hit the flattered stage yet...maybe someday!

Ali- as if I would ever block YOU!? Silly girl - that would never happen.

Hilly- thanks! Like I said, people who don't blog just don't get it. It's sad for them really. :P

cmacc said...

So glad to see you up and running again. It was a brave thing to go in a delete your thoughts away. A fresh start indeed!! Don't be too censored, I love everything you wrote!

Random Musings said...

Wow... Ok I was getting worried...
But we all need to do what we need to do.... : )

Rock Chef said...

Great to see you back again!

From my point of view, I think you have done the right thing - you did have a bad time and I hope that sharing with us helped. I know that sharing my personal tragedy has helped me to deal with it.

Here's to a happy, bright, pink, fluffy future!

Love you, Princess!

MrsG said...

I'm glad you're back honey! I would venture to say there's no harm done - your readers will return, and as always, more will come by - nothing hurt by getting rid of your archives.

xxx

The Author Of This said...

Well, you know all about my story of being anonymous & hidden blogs and the like so I'm not going into it all again...makes me angry, on your behalf, that you felt you had to hide your archives...if that makes any sense. Bloody glad you're not stopping altogether though!

You're very right about those that don't blog not understanding it. Smacks of hypocrisy when the person you're "hiding" from starts their own blog though! Grr.

Glamourpuss said...

Did I miss something? I'm rather confused...

Puss

Princess of the Universe said...

BPM- Just a few topics here and there that are now off-limits.

Random- no need to worry- things will be even better now (hopefully) :)

Chief- Aww thanks- you're the sweetest :)

AmyT- at least it saves me having to link back whenever I talk about something "previously mentioned" now :)

AMC- I knew you would understand- you've had a real hard time with all this!

Puss- it was easy to miss. I was only private for a day. I was actually impressed how many people noticed!

Z said...

Glad you're back! But I hate to be the one to point out that I still have all your archives via my reader... I know I'm not the one you're protecting them from, I just wanted to alert you in case they'd subscribed to your feed previously.

Princess in Galoshes said...

Just echoing some previous comments, I'm glad you're still around, too!

However, like Z, I can still read all your old entries in my Google Reader, just a heads-up!

C

Princess of the Universe said...

Z & Galoshes - I'm not as concerned about feed readers (although google is suddenly only letting me see current posts, not archives).
Thanks for the heads up though, that wasn't something I had thought about!

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany